Kue Lapis Beras is a typical Indonesian sweet snack. It consists of at least two colours of layers. We give you the basic recipe for 2 colours. Be creative and make your own with as many colours as you like.
350 gram white rice flour
350 gram caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
125 gram corn starch
1.5 liter coconut milk
2 pieces pandan leaves
1. Boil the coconut milk, pandan leaves and salt, while stirring.
2. Mix the cornstarch, sugar and rice flour.
3. Allow to cool the coconut milk, then pour the milk little by little into the flour mixture , all while slowly kneading / mixing. Divide the batter into 2 parts. Add to 1 part the red foodcolouring.
3. Heat up the oiled form in the steamer. Pour a thin layer of white batter on the bottom of the mold, and steam for 5 minutes.
4. Pour a thin layer of red batter in the mould. Steam for another 5 minutes. Make alternately layers until the batter runs out. After the last layer is poured, steam the cake for 10 minutes, remove from heat and let it cool.
5. Cut the cake into slices.
6. Selamat Makan!